Re: Meeting quorum questions
From: John Beutler (jabeutlercomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:53:27 -0700 (PDT)
Our proxies are based on a degree of trust between the person who gives the proxy and the person who exercises it, that they understand their concerns in more than a general way. No substitute for being present, but it seems to work reasonably well for us. And of course since it is consensus it is primarily used to meet quorum numbers. The facilitator would probably hold off attempting to reach consensus if the attendance was scanty.

Cheers

JAB

At 05:17 PM 6/20/2009, you wrote:

On Jun 20, 2009, at 2:26 PM, John Beutler wrote:

> At Liberty Village (Libertytow, MD) we have a proxy system whereby
> different folks "hold proxies" for others.

Proxies that mean "I consent to anything you decide" or "I consent to
the proposal"?

The problem with proxies for anything other than saying, I consent to
_anything_ you decide, is that they negate the importance of
information. Unless the meeting is just a rubber stamp, one would
expect information to come out in the discussion that might influence
the decision. There might also be amendments.

Since the number of consents is meaningless in consensus decision-
making because it's all or nothing, a proxy could only be meaningful
to establish quorum.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines