Getting the word out about mini-cohousing
From: Diana Leafe Christian (dianaic.org)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 06:36:57 -0700 (PDT)

Alex wrote:
But I'm still unsure of the best way to get the word out. Pioneer Valley Cohousing started with one of the founding member's placing an ad in the local papers in 1989. We'll continue to put up flyers. Any other ideas?

I agree with Sharon's advice about flyers, flyers, flyers; and for sure flyers in Unitarian Churches and food co-ops; inviting feature articles in small neighborhood weeklies; and not wasting money on paid ads in newspapers.

I would also suggest flyers in as many places as you can get them on the local college campuses where _faculty_ will see them; putting notices on Craig's List, Idealist, and if you're on Facebook, with a note to all your friends on Facebook, and/or a series of notices saying something like: "Looking for like-minded households to join us in a four-household 'mini-cohousing' venture" or " . . . for a shared group household venture." And emailing every friend you have all over the country and asking them to pass the word on to any people they know in the local area who may be seeking a unique shared housing opportunity. And . . . letting the people who answer email correspondence at Pioneer Valley, Pine Street, Rocky Hill, and Pathways Cohousing know what you'll be doing, so they can share your project with people who inquire to them but are looking for something more affordable than may be available at their places.

Last, but not least, to create a website with photos and more information about you and your family and what you'd like to do, so that these flyers, feature stories, and email messages have a place to send people with more information.

Bon Voyage!
Diana
Diana Leafe Christian