Re: Interesting document on the history of collaborative housing in Europe
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:58:32 -0700 (PDT)
Joani, thanks for point out the history article:
http://www.kollektivhus.nu/eng/sidor/history/colhisteng08.pdf

The 11 page article by Dick Urban Vestbro from November 2008 is in English
but has a little Swedish in illustrations.  He traces "collaborative
housing" back a very long way.  I found it interesting how he found
changing women's roles to be so much a motivation for the evolution of
collaborative housing.  Other trends seemed to be toward
preparation of meals by residents rather than by a paid staff. This seemed
to be more possible as communities were designed for fewer people. The
term "unit" in the paper refers to a community while we use the term
"unit" for a households residence within a community.

I found it interesting that the community Fardknappen
that I visited was mentioned.  I described it here:
http://lists.cohousing.org/pipermail/cohousing-l/msg11516.html

Fred

--
Jun 22: Robert Reich's Rx for  real health care reform
http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2009/06/20/healthcare/print.html

Communications for Justice -- Free, superior listserv's w/o ads:
http://justcomm.org      My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm CST/CDT)   Email: fholson at cohousing.org