Re: affordable cohousing
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:10:56 -0700 (PDT)
I filled out the survey but it didn't really cover how we operate and since
there is strong bias against lot development in cohousing circles I thought
it was at least worth mentioning that lot development allows people to build
their own homes, using recycled free materials, and alternative designs at
very low cost.  We have two residences which are very small and cost less
than $40,000 including the cost of the lot.  We have another which is owner
built which cost less than $120,000 to build. Of course there are some
hugely expensive homes built here as well but we do have a good mix, and
some of the larger homes host our 10 rental apartments which also provide
opportunities for non-owners to live here.

Rob Sandelin
Out in the woods of Sharingwood
Snohomish County, WA