affordable cohousing
From: Grace Kim (graceschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 20:22:13 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks Rob!
It's good to have the additional context.
Although I too wonder about the code implications of self built projects- were they engineered or permitted?

And I encourage others to share similarly. Also I'd encourage everyone to complete the survey even if you didn't end up with affordable units in the end.

grace h. kim
schemata workshop
(sent via mobile messaging)

From: "Rob Sandelin" <floriferous [at] msn.com

I filled out the survey but it didn't really cover how we operate and since there is strong bias against lot development in cohousing circles I thought it was at least worth mentioning that lot development allows people to build their own homes, using recycled free materials, and alternative designs at very low cost. We have two residences which are very small and cost less than $40,000 including the cost of the lot. We have another which is owner
built which cost less than $120,000 to build. Of course there are some
hugely expensive homes built here as well but we do have a good mix, and some of the larger homes host our 10 rental apartments which also provide
opportunities for non-owners to live here.

Rob Sandelin
Out in the woods of Sharingwood
Snohomish County, WA