Valuation for Common Facilities use - Adjacent Neighbors & Sharing
From: Hank Obermayer (hobermayerigc.org)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:11:25 -0700 (PDT)
Hi folks-
This may have been covered before, but I haven't found it in the archives. If you know it has been, please point me in the right direction!

I live at Mariposa Grove in California. 40% of the participants in our community are not residents of our condo association. Yes, that's a lot. We're a retrofit community with several pre-existing buildings that were turned into a condo association, and another neighboring building that became part of the community later. We're currently renegotiating the relationship that enables non condo- residents to use the common house (which is owned through the condo association).

For those with neighbors participating in the community, how much do you charge or regularly receive as donations for using the common facilities? Is it per household, per adult, case by case, or something else?

Note that we are NOT taking on new kinds of members, of any sort. We're staying away from that kind of language and the legal challenges that could cause. Instead, our condo association is providing a service to some of our neighbors (there may be some taxation and liability issues associated with this, but we're dealing with that separately).

We're trying to figure out what a fair rate is for using the common facilities without being a condo resident, and what others are doing will help us determine how we value the use of the common spaces. If you can say something about the price of housing in your region or neighborhood is that would help too. The price of a single family house?

And if I get more than a couple responses I'll post a summary to the list.

-Hank