Re: Valuation for Common Facilities use - Adjacent Neighbors & Sharing
From: Hank Obermayer (hobermayerigc.org)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks Jessie & Sharon.

We've thought through a lot of the liability issues, legal status issues, rights/responsibilities/usage issues, etc. While we're not done, we have a sense of what's thorniest there. We may never get clear answers for everything, but we're ok with that. What we're looking for now is some numbers to use for coming up with a market valuation.

The direction we're heading for now is for the condo association to lease it's common facilities to a "club" (with some usage restrictions that leave some uses, responsibilities, etc clearly in the hands of condo owners). The condo association would also pay membership dues to the club for condo residents. People who are not condo residents will have to pay dues in some other way. In addition, we already have a little common space that is *not* in the condo association, and we've discussed expanding that by using one room in the non-condo building as an exercise room. With this model our club could also rent the exercise room from the owners of that building.

There are a lot more specifics in the way we're going, and a lot of issues to resolve or at least agree not to resolve now. But we're also a very small cohousing community, which helps. Fewer opinions. Everyone is actively involved (really, everyone). Lots of good will.

But how much is the CH worth? Is it $75/month for each adult? $150? We don't know. What are others charging or asking for?

-Hank