Regarding research on cohousing
From: Diana Leafe Christian (dianaic.org)
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 04:27:53 -0700 (PDT)
I want to underscore Ann Zabaldo's comment about how easy it is to find out about already existing academic research by starting with the easy first step, a Google Search.

And I ask Liz Markle to consider broadening the scope of her research to include intentional communities in general. As I hope readers of Cohousing-L know, intentional communities in general, not just cohousing communities, have a beneficial effect on their members through cooperative decision-making, an unusual degree of neighborly support, and common physical infrastructure/shared amenities, to name a few variables.

Liz would find, for example, Daniel Greenberg's Ph.D. dissertation in child psychology at the University of Minnesota, in which he showed that children raised in intentional communities with a stable population (not with a high turnover) tended to have higher confidence, higher competence, more developed social skills, and more developed verbal skills that children of the same age raised in non- community, mainstream culture. (By the way, Daniel Greenberg continued his focus on intentional communities, and began and continues to run Living Routes Educational Consortium in Amherst, MA, a study-abroad program in which college students live in various ecovillage communities in India, France, Scotland, and elsewhere, for credit with the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.)
        I hope you find this helpful, Liz.

        Diana

        Diana Leafe Christian
        http://www.EcovillageNews.org