Re: Pet Policy - Can you share yours?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:41:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 27, 2009, at 11:48 AM, Judith Bush wrote:

We
wonder, among other things, what other communities say to prospective buyers of a house being sold if the number of cats (or dogs) in residence is at or
beyond the new limit.

When we moved in we had great discussions about outdoor cats. Huge. We finally agreed, I believe, that we would grandfather the current outdoor cats but no others would be allowed to move in. Dogs would be on leashes outdoors.

But we didn't write it down.

After about 6 years more outdoor cats moved in. People said we never wrote it down so it wasn't binding. They couldn't say anything.

After 9 years, dogs are at holiday celebrations and outdoor gatherings being allowed to run free.

One the owner was allowed to move in with a dog she can't take down the fire stairs to walk. So we have an animal going in and out of the CH and in the Elevator. He is incontinent.

Both outdoor cats and dogs without leashes are illegal in DC. And our bylaws say we are law abiding. But who polices?

Whatever you decide, write it down. Verbal agreements drift and new people move in who have no knowledge of the heat in those early discussions.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC