Consensus and multiple candidates
From: joel . plotkin (joel.plotkinsunyit.edu)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:08:42 -0700 (PDT)
Co-cohousing friends:

Here's a question I haven't seen addressed in our consensus resources
(Butler and Schaub). We are selecting officers and have multiple candidates
for two positions. How might the consensus process work in this situation?
In Quaker circles, the problem is avoided by having a Nominating Committee
select one name per position to present to the consenting body.

Tentatively, we are asking candidates to present themselves and their ideas
to the group, and thinking about some straw secret ballots and discussion
that might cause some candidates to withdraw. This seems awkward, and seems
to rule out Gradients of Agreement that may, in some cases, cause some
members to choose the extreme position of not consenting to an individual.

What have others done?

Joel Plotkin
Hundredfold Farm Cohousing
Orrtanna, PA