Re: co-farming in Pacific NW?
From: Joelyn Malone (JKMalonecomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:34:21 -0700 (PDT)
If anybody is interested in co-housing co-farming in the upper Midwest, there are lots of opportunities close to the Minneapolis-St Paul area. They are more likely to be listed on the IC.org web directory than cohousing.org however, as many are set up like cohousing but call themselves co-op farms or other such things. I'm constantly approached by people who have land or have identified a particular property and would love to have others come join them.

There are two such possibilities that have generated quite a bit of interest prior to the housing bust - one at the edge of Northfield MN, (see the Buffalo Commons listing) that got so far as to bring Chuck and Katie out for a weekend workshop before they went dormant due to the economy, and another one just outside of Buffalo MN where the owner is interested in selling to would-be cohousers and has just recently put the land up for sale. (This one may be described on the CohousingAdvocates.com web site, I'm not sure.) Both already have generated publicity, have an interested group of people who could become core group members, and folks have done a lot of the early research needed for determining initial feasibility. Both are within an hour's drive from the Twin Cities and very near the amenities of smaller, progressive towns.

We also have three going concerns close by - Zephyr Valley Community Co-op and Wiscoy Valley Land Cooperative (already mentioned by Craig) and River Haven, located on the Hay River in Wisconsin (also an easy drive from the Twin Cities), which is listed as "forming" only because it's being done as a lot development model - they've owned the land for nearly 20 years. They are all in the IC directory. Plus there's a newly emerging venture by a Quaker friend, in the Loess Hills area of western Iowa a short drive from either Sioux City Iowa and Omaha Nebraska - this is to be a teaching center for organic farming. See their web site at TRACES.org, click on the "TRACES goes green" button on the home page. They also already own the land - a huge plus. Farming is a very capital-intensive proposition - even hilly land around here is $1000 -2000/acre if it's actually viable farmland.

I hope I've generated some interest with these - feel free to contact me if you want to know more!
Joelyn
Monterey Cohousing Community (MN)
952-926-3872
(no longer actively in the business of cohousing promotion, but still a booster!)