Re: Consensus and multiple candidates
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:45:08 -0700 (PDT)
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
We need to choose officers: a figurehead-powerless President and VP (because we're a corporation), a hard working Secretary and likewise a Treasurer. Also 2 or 3 rotating-in members of our 5 member Steering (Coordinating) Committee.
We use a nominating team, usually of 3 volunteers.
Pres and VP can be anyone who could be found twice a year to sign something; Sec and Treasurer incumbents are applauded if they want to stay on, in those demanding jobs. Otherwise, for those slots there is no competition --we're lucky to find someone.

The tricky one is Steering, because it requires a team of 5 that can work well together, meeting twice every month, with some variety but not extremes that could be obstacles. We avoid having two members of the same household on Steering at once, so spouses are out.

Our nominators split up the membership list, making phone calls, and ask each member whether they are available to serve in any of the positions, and who they would like to see in such positions, who they'd recommend. The hope is that when the nominators then discuss the data among themselves they will see a functional slate emerge, including some balance factors like gender and style. They then put forth a slate of one candidate per position, and ideally the group affirms this.

We do have at least one person who insists that there ALSO be the possibility of last minute nominations from the floor. We seem to be stuck with that. I put it that way because I think it bypasses the good judgement that a nominating team can bring, notably to the Steering team make-up. I should be more open, I suppose, but there are certain individuals, for example, who may be OK for Steering, but who would not work well with certain others, in the same term.

As to what we'd do if we had additional nominations beyond the recommended slate, I guess we'd send them into a back room to have a talk among themselves, and hope for the best. We don't know what we'd do. (Lest you think "old" groups like us have figured everything out!)

Lynn Nadeau