Re: Unique 3Br/2BA home for sale at Eastern Village Cohousing in Silver Spring, MD
From: katie-henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:08:16 -0800 (PST)
I'm not looking for a condo at the moment :-) but I'm really curious about
this.  What does "This unit is not suitable for someone who wants to be a
member of a cohousing community" mean?

---------

If you were to buy this condo, you would be living in the same building but in
a separate wing from a cohousing community that doesn't particularly welcome
the participation of its neighbors. If you become friends with someone in the
community, you might get invited to some events, but you would always be just a
guest, with no right to participate in decision-making or to use any of the
common-house facilities.

You yourself would be a member of a conventional condo homeowners' association
whose members have little interaction outside of quarterly board meetings that
are run according to Robert's Rules of Order.

Don't get me wrong. It's a gorgeous condo in a great location, but it's not
cohousing. I'm surprised to see it posted here.

Katie
(former Eastern Village resident on both sides of the building)