Re: contingency fund questions
From: Mac Thomson (macheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:57:07 -0800 (PST)
Our annual operating budget includes a 10% contingency budget which is available to teams who have extra expenses beyond their budgets. Our Steering team authorizes the spending from the contingency fund based on requests from the teams. Any operating profits plus a direct contribution from dues goes into our reserves fund each year. After about 25 years, we plan to have that fund built up to about $150K - $200K. The money is earmarked for specific anticipated repairs and replacements, rather than just a miscellaneous emergency fund, although it can serve as that in a pinch.

Cheers,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson