language or experience help needed to persuade Planning Board that 6 unit max per building
From: Liz Ryan Cole (lizryancolemac.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:16:18 -0800 (PST)
....is not the most environmental way to build homes.

Our cooperative cohousing and hospitality business project is making good progress. Right now we would like to persuade the Lyme (NH) Planning Board that the existing zoning language, which limits multi- unit buildings to no more than 6 units, is unnecessarily restrictive.

Can anyone point us to experience and/or language that will help us. We are building in a rural area, in a town of 1800 people, near a village center. Almost all homes in town are single family. We know that we have a better chance to build less expensive homes if they don't have to be stand alones. We also know in our cold climate that it is less expensive to heat shared-walled spaces and that we are much more likely to use the common house as a real living room, library, etc, if we don't have to put on boots, etc just to get there.

Does anyone on this list have data and/or experience that can help? thanks! liz

Liz Ryan Cole
Pinnacle Project
Lyme, NH
lizryancole [at] mac.com