language or experience help needed to persuade Planning Board
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:03:47 -0800 (PST)

Liz:

I have always promoted the "Co" in cohousing as meaning collaborative.
Collaborating with the present 1800 residents (meaning the number of residents,
not necessarily their 17th century mentality) is part of the solution.

As Sharon Villines indicated, that certainly means getting an understanding of
the values and norms of the existing community, which, admittedly, may appear
to be unreasonable.

As far as zoning and land use planning go, professionally the community norms
should all be outlined in the Comprehensive Plan, which leads to the Zoning,
which along with the development regulations allows you to know what the
constraints are for your site plan and subdivision.  Of course, there may well
be multiple underlying ethics that will never be spelled out in the code books,
whether you want to identify them as fear or bigotry or anything else.

Typically, we find that developers run into opposition of two kinds:

1) The NIMBY's: Not in My Backyard. "I'm not against (multi-family), but this
just isn't the place for it in this community..."; and

2) The CAVE-men: Citizens Against Virtually Everything: "We have just enough of
everything we need here and we don't want anything different."

But every community wants something they still don't have and if you can show
that your proposal can/will bring one or more of those factors to the
community, without bringing any of the things they really fear most, whatever
those may be, it should make your proposal more appealing.  But part of the
system is also to make yourselves more appealing and create ways to comply with
the bureaucracy that exists, even if it takes a few years to get there.

We built Liberty Village on the edge of a 700 resident unincorporated rural
community by negotiating with the larger County Comprehensive Plan and Zoning
provisions.  We selected the site because it was: A, available; B,
environmentally appealing; C, adjacent to a far larger county park; and D,
close enough to connect to the existing sewer system and an adjacent limited
water system.  But it was zoned Agricultural and would only allow a SFD cluster
of 6 homes on 1 acre lots with wells and septic systems.

We honored all the environmentally sensitive areas of flood plain, wetlands,
and limited woodlands by conserving them as a buffer against the park and
committing to add far more new woodland than presently existed.  We honored the
historic conservation ethic by protecting the 1753 Manor House and planning it
as a separate parcel to be subdivided and sold with outbuildings as a unique
historic property, albeit with a much smaller land parcel.   We committed to
pay all our own costs for extending the sewer system mains to connect to our
property.  We committed to upgrade the water system by paying for new water
storage facilities that weren't presently available, but were badly needed to
manage peak water user demands.

We couldn't get a Planned Unit Development approval because the site was zoned
Agricultural so we applied for a single family rezoning that would give us 50%
more density than we wanted, but we still presented a cluster development plan
that showed that we wouldn't use the total density allowed.  Still the County
denied the requested rezoning application, but conceded with approving a lower
density single family zoning.  This was a major success because it also gave us
a residential land use designation, which did allow us to apply for a Planned
Unit Development approval.  Yes, we had to repeat the initiative for a 2nd
rezoning application to get the Planned Unit Development which was finally
approved and allowed our clustering of duplexes not allowed by the SFD zoning.
Yes, it took four years, but we survived the retirement of a Planning Director,
retirement of a Public Works Director, an elected changeover of many of the
County Commissioners and multiple new appointments to the Planning Commission.

For four years, we told everyone who we could buttonhole for a conversation
about the value of cohousing as a collaborative tool for building a new
community without divisiveness, presented them with copies of Chuck & Katie's
Book, and held repeated open community meetings as we kept increasing our
partnership from five invested households to 23.  Yes, it took time, but what
else were we planning to do with the rest of our lives?  Live in spec builder
subdivisions and apartments?

In considering your case in Lyme, does the Village Center have multi-family
zoning or other multi-family development provisions?  Can you engage a few
intervening landowners to build a bridge/link to extend that zoning through
their properties to your property by rezoning them all in a comprehensive land
use plan change?

Does the town have any environmental planning ethics discussed or adopted in
the Town Plan that embrace energy conservation?  Does the town have any
residential weatherization assistance program, even if it is income restricted,
that at least embraces energy conservation?  The challenge is to point out that
the town has embraced energy conservation in principle and that your proposal
merely proposes to do that at a higher level of energy conservation than other
predecessors had anticipated, but is now entirely appropriately.

Are there any other developers in the region that would also support having
larger multifamily buildings?  Will they join you in lobbying to change the
zoning code restrictions?  That's part of the American Way.  If you don't like
the system, then change it!  Get LEED certification criteria and a LEED expert
to demonstrate how multiple interactive energy efficient design measures can be
most effectively implemented in larger scale buildings, even if done as
low-rise 3 story buildings.  E.G., tighter building shells reduce energy demand
which allow smaller heating plants which produce lower emissions which create
less global warming.  Clustered units in larger buildings offer less exterior
wall space with less energy loss.  A single larger multi-family building on a
site allows more open space conservation than wasting land in unusable side
yards between scattered multiple buildings.   A single larger multi-family
building with internal community space reduces demand on community recreation
facilities and play areas that would be generated by multiple smaller buildings
which would not have the economy of scale of a single large building.  A single
larger building reduces total rooftop area and therefore reduces storm water
runoff which reduces downstream erosion factors.  A consolidated parking area
does the same thing.

If the density scare is also thrown up against you, I believe the numbers can
be made less threatening by finding comparable examples of overall averages for
the entire town that will make your proposal much less threatening.  Another
tactic for making numbers work is attaching a totally undevelopable adjacent
parcel, alley, floodplain, right-of-way, etc. to your parcel at a low cost,
even if only for the purpose of making your density numbers average out lower.
Then use the land for a playground.

Does an adjacent neighborhood need community meeting space?  Will you willingly
offer to share your community space?  Takoma Village Cohousing does and has 41
units approved on 1.25 acres.

There is something that Lyme, NH needs that the Pinnacle Project can provide
through developing cohousing to overcome Lyme disease.  What is it? How will
you provide it?

Best wishes,

Tom Lofft

Liberty Village, MD