Re: Community Work Days
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:20:54 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 13, 2009, at 7:27 PM, Peg Blum wrote:

Here at Cambridge Cohousing (MA), we are seeking information on successful
strategies for involving everyone (or nearly everyone) in Work Days.

One thing that is most helpful is good list of things for people to do and the supplies on hand.

We have an excellent listmaker who is very detail oriented. She keeps a list of maintenance items as well as large projects that will be done that day. Someone shops the day or week before hand so supplies are on hand.

A job broker sits at a table in the CH. People come in and look at the list and choose tasks. Sometimes they will just ask "what's big today" and be directed to someone supervising a big task.

People choose solo or group tasks as they desire.

We do lunch at 12:30 but very simple and cheap. The meal preparers complain about the budget. Most people work from 9-10 to 2 or so. Some are still working at 5.

I would prefer the schedule someone posted a year or two ago -- Work from 9-1 and have a big meal together. That's the end. But the response was if it ain't broke don't fix it. Lately attendance is down so we might make some changes.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org

  • Community Work Days Peg Blum, December 13 2009
    • Re: Community Work Days Sharon Villines, December 14 2009