Re: Rural cohousing
From: Sandy Thomson (sandyheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 07:26:10 -0800 (PST)
Hi Karen,
Check out http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com we are a rural cohousing community that has been built and occupied for ~10 years. Last year we added http://www.heartwoodfarmscoop.com Heartwood Farms and we are actively looking for people who want to be part of the farm to live in our community. We have a couple of rental options available now and one house for sale. You can see these on our website. We are also looking for someone to act as a Farm Manager or Administrator. Because we are just getting going we can't afford to pay someone for this positions but we can offer the experience of working and living in a thriving cohousing community and making a difference to the farm.

Here is a description of the position if you anyone who fits this bill PLEASE let me know mailto:sandy [at] heartwoodcohousing.com or 970-884-2196
Thanks and good to hear from you Karen.
In Community,
Sandy

Farm Administrator – Job Description

Heartwood Farms, located within the Heartwood Cohousing community in Bayfield, Colorado, is looking for a Farm Administrator. The Farm Administrator is responsible for implementing the 2010 work plan (developed), monitoring the budget (developed), providing management support for staff (2-3 growers), and providing a monthly report to the Board of Directors. Key relationships are with staff and the Board. At this time we are looking for someone who wants to make a difference in this organization for little or no money. We are a cohousing communtiy that is growing food for the community and local natural food store and resturants. We can offer you an unique experience that includes rural farm life mixed with working and living in a thriving cohousing community. Check out the following websites to get an idea about what we are about. www.heartwoodcohousing.com
www.heartwoodfarmscoop.com

Farm Administration
·        Implement 2010 work plan
·        Create and implement effective management systems
·        Create and implement effective communication systems

Staff Management
Train and coach staff so they are competent to undertake their duties
Hold and manage weekly team meetings
Foster a supportive team environment
Create a culture of accountability and recognition
·        Coordinate staff efforts when appropriate

Financial Management
Work within specified budgets
Monitor weekly performance against budget

Reporting
Attend monthly meeting of the Board of Directors
Provide monthly status reports to the Board of Directors

Food Production – management oversight only

SKILLS NEEDED:
·   Collaboration
·   Facilitation
·   Team-building
·   Communication – both written and verbal
·   People management
·   Budget management
·   Growing/farming skills not required