RE Rural Cohousing
From: seaseal (seasealgot.net)
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 11:19:53 -0800 (PST)
In the initial stages of forming cohousing for 7 or so families or households. Located in Monterey County on California's Central Coast. This agricultural community is 45 minutes from San Jose, 35 minutes from Monterey, 30 minutes from Santa Cruz, and 20 minutes from Salinas. While several cohousing developments exist in nearby Santa Cruz County, none is rural. None seems focused on diversity with an agricultural slant.

We definitely want animals, such as sheep and chickens, around. The land has been organic since 1985, but is not certified. The climate is perfect for crops year-round. The property is a south-facing slope perfect for permaculture. The soil has been enriched with compost for seven years in ever-widening circles. I'm a Fukuoka fan.

This is a multicultural rural area, with Spanish-speaking neighbors. Although we want the best internet connections, currently there is no DSL. (Satellite is an option, however, as is dial up.)

After putting my work career on pause, I began studying Horticulture.

We encourage others interested in a rural cohousing situation to keep in contact for ongoing discussions covering the why, the how and more. Currently, we have more questions than answers. : )

Cecile
seaseal [at] got.net

Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still.

     ~Chinese proverb