Re: Monkyspheres - Fixed URL
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 16:26:18 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Fred H Olson wrote:

Tom Lofft, Liberty Village, MD wrote:
> This offers some interesting thinking about urban communities;

unfortunately when I posted his message with a broken tiny url.
The corrected one is:    http://tinyurl.com/monkyspheres2
which really goes to:
> http://www.triplepundit.com/2009/12/of-monkyspheres-and-microhoods-
> collective-urban-living-for-the-21st-century/

The brief article proposes "microhoods, a new development model for
urban infill housing. Places for 150 people ... making it vertical"
Other than the size somewhat larger than most cohousing and explicitly
"vertical", it is not clear how it differs from cohousing except in name.

The 150 number corresponds to "Dunbar's Number" and refers to
theoretical cognitive limit to the number of people with whom we can
maintain stable social relationships.  See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

But if indeed this is the maximum (there's considerable
debate/uncertainty), what about the other people one knows in other
contexts?  One of the advantages of urban living is that there lots of
people around with lots of different `interests and expertise.  Maybe
cohousing's typical somewhat smaaler size is more reasonable and allows
for knowing some people outside those one lives near...

Fred

--
Jun 22: Robert Reich's Rx for  real health care reform
http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2009/06/20/healthcare/print.html

Communications for Justice -- Free, superior listserv's w/o ads:
http://justcomm.org      My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm CST/CDT)   Email: fholson at cohousing.org