Re: Urban cohousing [was: Monekysheres...
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 04:20:32 -0800 (PST)
Hi Jesse and all --

In re what is "urban":  walking distance to bus or metro ...

Well. Not if you live in Tampa, FL -- a sprawling city of a gazillion cars, uber amount of freeways and ... once recently I did see a lone bus trundling along a city street. I think there might even be another one out there ... (I grew up in Tampa.)

I'd say a more substantive measure might be -- if you live w/in City limits -- even if you don't have a bus line -- you're an urban community. Except of course for places like Silver Spring, MD which has a "downtown" has lots of bus service and a metro stop but is not an incorporated city so there are no "city" limits.

It's an interesting question about what makes something urban, suburban or rural. It might all be relative.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC