Urban cohousing [was: Monekysheres...
From: Karen Kudia (kkudiapeoplepc.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 18:21:39 -0800 (PST)
Another way to tell, is you can legally have chickens, goats, pigs, etc you are not urban, but rural. Although there may be some exceptions to this also. Authorities are giving a guy in South Beach Miami hassles about having his rooster, Mr. Clucky (who he rides with him on his bicycle handle bars). Farm animal vs. pet. His owner is currently fighting this eviction because of some city code that doesn't allow farm animals. Looks to me like Mr. Clucky is a pet rooster. City limits has its codes. Officials enforce them. I vote for city/town limits=Urban. Give me rural any time, so the Mr. & Mrs. Clucky's in this world can live peaceably. Tampa sounds like a human jungle.

Karen
Anthony FL

http://www.mrclucky.com/

Hi Jesse and all --

In re what is "urban":  walking distance to bus or metro ...

Well.  Not if you live in Tampa, FL -- a sprawling city of a gazillion
cars, uber amount of freeways and ... once recently I did see a lone
bus trundling along a city street.  I think there might even be
another one out there  ...  (I grew up in Tampa.)

I'd say a more substantive measure might be -- if you live w/in City
limits -- even if you don't have a bus line -- you're an urban
community.  Except of course for places like Silver Spring, MD which
has a "downtown" has lots of bus service and a metro stop but is not
an incorporated city so there are no "city" limits.

It's an interesting question about what makes something urban,
suburban or rural.  It might all be relative.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC