Re: Cohousing outreach lesson for the day: Be reachable
From: sharon (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 11:49:29 -0800 (PST)
I think my point in my respons to the phrase "emphasize people not
property" has been missed. The issue is not the cost of the unit. A
specific price was mentioned in the context of an example.

The point is that when some people ask up front what is the price of the
units, it isn't because they are "clearly not interested in community" as
I've heard people say.

People can be very interested in community but 99% of the time cohousing
requires the ability to buy a house. Being realistic about the upfront
requirements of cohousing is part of the "people" but often the phrase
"emphasize the people, not the property" is interpreted as meaning
applicants are only real if their first words are enthusiastic
exclamations about shared meals, workdays, and running errands for your
neighbors.

Cohousing has become known if not well-known. When people first approach a
group they may have moved beyond enthusiasm for community and are now up
to "Is this a community I can afford or do I need to keep looking?"

Whatever your units cost, they will be beyond the threshold some people
can afford. Knowing that upfront may be painful but much less painful than
a household having to leave the group six months or a year later because
the group or the household was unrealistic about costs.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing