Re: Afforability
From: Matt Lawrence (matttechnoronin.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 13:09:38 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Craig Ragland wrote:

In promoting cohousing Coho/US staff and volunteers often hear concerns
about "high prices" of Coho-homes. Many of these are from people concerned
about prices on behalf of other people - a noble stance, but not necessarily
relevant to their own community and housing decisions.

One response is to ask about the current market value of the
questioner's home. In my experience, more than half the people who raise
cost concerns live in houses of higher "value" (price, not actual value)
than most of the cohousing homes in the area (when they exist).

I have a nice home in north Austin that is worth about $200K. This is less than $100/sq.ft. Building costs in excess of $250/sq.ft. seem to be a bit out of line to me, but maybe my view is strongly affected by housing price in my nice middle class neighborhood.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.