catch 22 - finding right site or identifying group values?
From: Grace Kim (graceschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:23:23 -0800 (PST)
We're working with a community that is in its infancy - they have 8
families and the intent to purchase a lot to support 8-30 units.

For the past few months we've been helping them with site selection,
which has resulted in them realizing that their "wish list" needs to be
prioritized to better sync price/size/expectations.  While they don't
mind having more units (30 vs. 8), the idea of higher density (stacked
flats and townhouses vs. sgl family home w/ land around it) with
meaningful open/green space (i.e., useable roof community/kid space) is
one that they can't envision in an urban setting.  We've shown them
images of other projects but I think they really want to see a completed
design (which would arrive from a more interactive process).

They are working from a financially conservative position of not wanting
to spend any money on any services (architectural or otherwise) that
might not be applicable to their final purchase/development.  They are
feeling like they need to find a site before they do anything else, but
we are encouraging them to prioritize their values (to help evaluate
whether prospective properties truly fit their needs.)

Does anyone have a story to share about how your community addressed
similar concerns in the early stages of your development process?

grace h kim aia, architect & cofounder

schemata workshop | empowering communities through architecture

1720 12th ave #3  seattle wa 98122  v 206 285 1589

www.schemataworkshop.com <http://www.schemataworkshop.com/>

Recipient of 2009 Mayor's Small Business Award