Carports in cohousing
From: Brian Tremback (brian.trembackgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 04:11:59 -0800 (PST)
I'm a resident of Burlington Cohousing in Vermont. We completed construction
of all 31 of our new homes about 2 years ago. The construction did not
include carports, though they were part of the original plan. Subsequently,
twelve owners used private funds to construct 12 of the 30 planned carports
in the space allotted for them. Although there are no immediate plans to
build more, we anticipate future construction of additional carports,
financed by other residents.

 We're looking for legal models for dealing with carports. We would like to
preserve each person's investment in the structure. For example, if someone
no longer needs a carport, they could recover their investment if they
transferred the carport to another resident. Does anyone have any experience
with this issue?

Brian Tremback
Burlington Cohousing
Burlington, VT