Re: Affordability
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:33:44 -0800 (PST)
As has often been said, "The definition of Affordability is all in the budget
of the purchaser"

Many of the suggestions quoted are all about the way it used to be.

When the Europeans first invaded North America, there was a very communitarian
based local culture of nomadic tribes who had affordable housing that they took
with them from summer pastures and hunting grounds to winter feeding and
camping grounds.

The Europeans introduced three major new ethics: land ownership, firearms, and
European government.

Ever since, it has been the concept of control of the land through restricted
ownership, as constrained by the regulation of government enforced by the armed
militia, that has continuously forced up the price of housing, regardless of
the actual cost of moving or erecting a new tepee.

Regardless of how much it costs to actually build a home in either Delaware
Commons or Liberty Village, Swan's Market or Cambridge, the major difference is
the cost of the land which is typically of limited supply in a market of
increasing demand due to the constraints of local government. Ergo, price of
land keeps rising. Currently, in a period of apparent oversupply and diminished
demand due to employment uncertainty, affordability for the least in demand
housing stock has increased for those still able to afford to purchase.

Land costs of a new residence, including sewer, water, taps and permits, used
to be about 25% of the total product cost.  Now it has risen to over 40% and
will move up to 50% as soon as local governments attach the next round of
'Energy Saving Mandates' for an even more egregious one size fits all backward
bureaucracy.  If subdivision of a huge supply of vacant land were more readily
achieveable, land costs would decline and housing would be considered more
affordable.  Of course, that would mean a declining value of all presently
owned property and there are a lot of voters who would resist that also.

Tom Lofft

Liberty Village, MD

Originally from: Brian Bartholomew <bb [at] stat.ufl.edu>