Re: Afforability
From: peterpiper (peterpiperriseup.net)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:11:29 -0800 (PST)
An input from the UK ...

We, LILAC, are planning to use an innovative new tenure model Mutual Home Ownership Society. Rather than people buying a house, they pay approx 35% of their income to buy equity shares in the Society, which owns the cohousing development. We've costed how this will work, and the minimum household income needed is approx US$ 26,000. We want a diverse cohousing community - not just rich people - so this model is the system we are going to use.

There are some more details in Section 1.5 of our Project Development Plan: http://www.lilac.coop/home/61/. But the best people to talk to about it are the people we got the idea from: CDS Co-operatives (www.cds.coop).