Re: Carports in cohousing
From: PattyMara Gourley (pmgourleygmail.com)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 07:32:33 -0800 (PST)
Yes, at Tierra Nueva (cen. CA coast) we have experienced the selling of both
carports and garages to residents who do not have one (each home comes with
two parking spaces...so upon the sale of either a garage or carport by
homeowner A, the uncovered parking space of the buyer, Homeowner B, is
traded over Homeowner A.  Sounds complicated, but listen to this:  the land
underneath the garages and carports is technically owned by the HOA,
residents really only "own" the sticks and mortar of the structures.  The
HOA also pays the electric bills for each garage and carport.  Still,
individuals pay property taxes on each garage and/or carport owned, and it
is considered private property.   Usually the garages/carports are included
in the sale of the homes, but sometimes they are sold independently.  These
sales are handled just like a real estate transaction, recorded with the
county.

best,
PattyMara