Re: catch 22 - finding right site or identifying group
From: Mac Thomson (macheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 06:53:53 -0800 (PST)
Hi Grace,

We're certainly not urban, but the issue of balancing finding a site and
spending money seems to be universal.  We certainly tried to minimize spending
before we found a site, but prioritizing values is fundamental and can be done
at no cost whatsoever.

We felt that we had to define 2 aspects of our community before we could expect
potential members to commit:
1)  defining our community (core vision, values, other core agreements)
2)  choosing the site

People need to know what kind of community they are getting into.  That
definition helps filter people out so that they end up matched with a community
that will hopefully meet their needs and expectations.  Members that share the
same vision of community often differ in where they want to live and on what
type of site.  That's why we felt that it was also necessary to choose the site
before asking for commitment.

Neither of these needs to cost much money.  It took us about 4 years to find a
suitable site and during that time we thoroughly defined our community,
recruited, and did lots of community building.  During those 4 years we spent
about $9000, which is really just a drop in the bucket considering that once we
started construction, we were spending $25,000 per day.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably
worth it."