Re: Meal Participation Program
From: Alison Etter (alison.s.ettergmail.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:46:12 -0800 (PST)
I live at Roberts Creek Cohousing in British Columbia Canada. We have been
going for about 5 years and have a system that works for us.  We have a meal
scheduled on Saturdays, and then also usually a Tuesday or Thursday meal
during the week.  Folks gather their own team. They put up a sign-up
schedule and send out an email of the menu and do the shopping for the meal
based on the numbers signed up.  The team also cooks and sets up the dining
room.  Usually are meals cost approx. $6.00 per person ($3 for children) and
people pay as they come in.  Clean up is done by volunteers at the meal.  It
works for us.  Participation often varies with the menu, I have noticed, and
what is going on in peoples' lives.  (Summer attendance is usually lower).
There is always a vegetarian/vegan option if the meal includes meat.  We are
also supported by a Cooks Committee who buy staples and make sure there are
enough pots and pans and such for the kitchen (our kitchen pots and plates
have a tendency to disappear).   They also coordinate dinners for special
occasions, such as Thanksgiving.  Cooking is a lot of fun, and our meals are
a highlight of the week for many of us.  Sometimes we have a movie or
something after the meal.

Hope this help.  Alison Etter