Re: Meal Participation Program
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:47:23 -0800 (PST)
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
Weekly potluck, all clean up.

Weekly cooked meal:
=Sign up sheet on bulletin board lists date and cook, and menu. Circle your name if coming, cross out if not; cooks may choose to phone those who haven't marked either way, or may email everyone, to get more people to sign up.
=Attendance varies, but typical might be 24 adults, 6 kids.
=Meals are $4.50. Of that, $3.75 is available as reimbursable cooks' budget. 75 cents (just raised from 50 cents) of meal price goes to pantry supplies. The common house team buys oils, flours, butter, spices, and quite a lot more with that kitty. =Kids 2-7 are $1, age 8-12 are $2, teens same as adults; non residents (adult guests) are $5. =A fancy meal may cost more, if posted as such in advance. Example- salmon entree. =Options are available- we accomodate vegetarians and food sensitivities and preferences. =Cooks sign up voluntarily. A team is often two. I often cook solo. Now and then 3 or 4 cook. =Everyone cleans up. The cook(s) have ultimate responsiblity for the clean up, but always have help.

=Accounting. A volunteer keeps a spreadsheet noting both payments and meals "used". Some pay cash at dinner, most pay ahead, or take credit instead of their shopping reimbursement. No shows, who signed up, are charged $2.
=In season, cooks can use produce from our large vegetable garden

I'm cooking this week. Homemade chicken soup, with the chicken in it; vegetable soup option. Fresh challah bread, cheese, green salad, ginger snaps, sliced oranges. Almost everything organic. I usually bring (and launder) table cloths, which people find "special". I cook about every 2 months.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org