Re: affordable cohousing
From: Brian Bartholomew (bbstat.ufl.edu)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:28:57 -0800 (PST)
Sharon, can you think of a single town in the US, that is urban enough
to have bus service every 20 minutes from the proposed coho location
to a shopping center, whose zoning/permitting will allow a low cost
self-developed coho, such that after the costs are added for all the
consessions required by the permitting authorities, can still be
purchased on a mortgage with sane terms and no subsidies by a single
minimum wage worker?

Affording the structure and safe sewage treatment is not the problem:
a person could start with a camper or a yurt on a mobile home lot.
Except that's illegal.  A couple years back in my area, I estimated
that the legally mandated lifestyle minimums added about $125K to a
coho house price.  That is not the way to lower one's footprint, house
the sick and poor, etc.
                                                        Brian