Re: affordable cohousing
From: Chili Head (chiliheadramptonresearch.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:01:12 -0800 (PST)
I'd be first in line to be a member of this list, if anyone ever creates one!

On Jan 21, 2010, at 4:59 PM, Cindy T wrote:

Sometimes it seems to me that co-housing is often just another form of gated community. In addition to cost, which prevents non- homogeneous people from buying into regular gated communities, co- housing has the vetting process. Many communities seem to lack any commitment to diversity, and may even violate anti-discrimination laws though I'm sure the legal advisors have figured out how to do that legally.

Do we need another list, or maybe multiple lists, for people with lower incomes, for disabled people, for minorities, or for people from Africa or China, to create a bunch of little ghettos? Or do we need more communities that commit to the richness of diversity and learn to work out complex issues cooperatively? It seems like the latter are sorely needed in the world today.

Cindy T