Re: affordable cohousing
From: Cindy T (cindy_t25hotmail.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 19:49:47 -0800 (PST)

> While some cohousing communities do have gates on them, they are
> mostly half-height unlocked courtesy gates, there to keep kids or
> animals from wandering in or out unsupervised, or to make a property
> line visible. The feelings I've observed in my visits to more than 90...

I was speaking of metaphorical gates not actual physical gates.

> Looking back on your posts on this list from 2008, it sounds like
> green building is a key issue for you; since that time, several
> communities have come online that incorporate the latest best industry
> practices in finding green substitutes for toxic materials, and which
> include affordable units below the prices you cited. Have you checked
> out Mosaic Commons (Berlin, MA), ElderGrace (Santa Fe, NM), Burlington
> (VT) Cohousing, or Delaware Street Commons (Lawrence, KS). We've
> visited all of them in the last six months, and all have homes
> available now that may meet your needs; others may have resales or be
> building something new or have lots where you can build that may
> better meet your needs.

"Green" building is not what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for a community with
a strong commitment to non-toxic living.  In my case, this is essential because
of my disability.   I'm looking for the opportunity to build my own detached
non-toxic house in such a community.  Although most homes in the US contain
many toxic building materials, I know they can be avoided, affordably, because
I have already done it.  I am also looking for a community that walks their
non-toxic talk, and avoids pesticides, wood burning, etc.  These accommodations
may be optional for most people, but not for me.

Cindy T

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390708/direct/01/