Re: affordable cohousing, not "gated"
From: Marganne Meyer (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 00:29:06 -0800 (PST)
At 8:17 PM -0800 1/21/10, Rob Sandelin wrote:
There are other
forms of community which are not based on home ownership and many have very
little investment requirements.  One downside to this is that these can
attract people who are highly dysfunctional and thus the community can end
up spending inordinate amounts of energy dealing with social pathology,
something cohousing, with its economic barriers is largely free from. The
obvious downside to the economic gate keeping of mortgages is that it
excludes some excellent people, especially younger adults.

Rob,
I think I understand what you tried to say in the above paragraph. Many highly dysfunctional people can afford to buy a home within an existing project. I've read stories here that attest to this and the problems it can cause for the community. A person's income doesn't have a bearing upon a person's mental health.

Anyone, regardless of their upbringing and ability to generate income, is only a step away from becoming a person without a job, without much economic support, and/or disabled. Nothing is guaranteed in this life, as many, many people have found out in the past few years with the economic downturn. A person never plans to become seriously ill and disabled in their 30s or 40s. I'm here to attest it does happen, a lot. Guess I'm a little sensitive to this issue since I've lived on both sides of the situation.

Cheers!
Marganne