Plans for affordable cohousing
From: Marganne Meyer (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 01:15:33 -0800 (PST)
I've read this mailing list off and on for many years (1990s?). During this time my ability to 'buy' a house and to generate income has changed drastically. It's been interesting to see things from an entirely different perspective and notice bias in places where I never saw it before.

I've wondered if the CoHo Association could serve as a rallying point to help create a plan that can accommodate people, for whatever reason, who either can't afford a $250,000 house or simply chose to spend much less on housing so they have funds and time to do other things that are important in their lives.

It's an enormous task. I'd like to be part of a group who could approach creation of a pilot project and/or guidelines for cohousing for the increasing number of people who also want to live in community. We might even be able to suggest how other cohousing projects can incorporate people like this into their own project, if so inclined.

Projects generally coalesce around a specific geographical location. With a group of people who are more tightly strapped for funds, it might be more important to have guidelines to show cohousing or community building is attainable for people who are resigned to renting for the rest of their lives.

I can't tell you how many people who are/were on this list have contacted me privately over the years about this economic issue. They are upset and sad when they realize current cohousing schemes are beyond their means. Although low income is blind to age, the majority of these people were single adults seeking community where they can contribute to and take advantage of knowing the people around them.

Cheers!
Marganne