affordable cohousing, not "gated"
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:14:52 -0800 (PST)
The optimum use of assets for seniors is very important.

We often see that continuing care communities require major capital investments
as part of a "buy-in" for a residential unit, as do some senior communities,
even without a continuing care regime.

One strategy to consider, for the senior who desires to have ownership of a
permanent home and liquid assets, is to buy/build their home in a cohousing
community and then obtain a reverse mortgage to free up their equity value as
cash.

There are several constraints for reverse mortgages, and I am not in the
mortgage business, but they do provide an option to have your home and use the
asset value as cash for other expenses, whether they be medical, entertainment,
travel, home improvement or additions or whatever..

For others that have no assets at all, then the challenge is to find a social
welfare program that will support the purchase or construction of a new home,
since the basic cost of construction of any home cannot reasonably be a
give-away by a privately financed cohousing community.