Re: Low cost community housing group
From: Chili Head (chiliheadramptonresearch.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:55:09 -0800 (PST)
On Jan 22, 2010, at 1:38 AM, Marganne Meyer wrote:

At 7:01 PM -0500 1/21/10, I wrote:
I'd be first in line to be a member of this list, if anyone ever
creates one!

http://groups.google.com/group/low-cost-community-housing

Thank you for this link.  I have joined!  :-)

And, just let me say that there are *PLENTY* (likely hundreds of millions) of hardworking, responsible, non-sociopaths in this country who are just poor, often due to some bad break in life or something like the medical system pounding them into the ground. In our family, it was a stroke (my husband) and a brain tumor (me), and we have home that is now worth less than what we owe on it, so cannot trade it in for most typical co-housing options. (Yes, we both had/have health insurance, for which we pay a fortune, and which covered almost nothing.)

I actually cannot believe someone would write this (not Marganne, but someone else): "these can attract people who are highly dysfunctional and thus the community can end up spending inordinate amounts of energy dealing with social pathology, something cohousing, with its economic barriers is largely free from ..."

Gotta say, even if we HAD money, I wouldn't want to be part of a community that embraces such opinions. If that's the true nature of the majority of this list, I'm likely outta here.