Re: affordable cohousing, not "gated"/ Habitat
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:57:17 -0800 (PST)
We ended up buying a pre-existing complex, but had talked to our local Habitat
when we were looking at different properties.  We had a concern that the people
in the market units would be subsidizing both the land and the common house for
the people in the Habitat units, and that that would price out many of our
households.  We talked to the Habitat group about the possibility of a Habitat
crew leader working with us to build the common house, with all members either
providing labor or hiring labor. This would bring the cost of the common house
down for all, provide a bonding experience for those willing and able to work
on it. They were amenable to the idea, although we never got the chance to put
it into practice.
Randa Johnson
New Brighton Cohousing
Aptos, CA