Re: Meal Participation
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:17:31 -0800 (PST)
Hi Andrea, et. al,

Alas, Songaia only has 5/week (but we always have had since 1990). All
participating adults have 1 slot per week, whether it be cooking or
cleaning. From 1990 to 2000, (pre-construction), there were fewer people
living here, so we did 2 slots per week.

The last time I visited Nevada City, I was struck by one particular contrast
that I'd love to hear more about. What I noticed was that Nevada City has
limited food storage and stores very little food. As I understand it from my
tour guide, you have very frequent delivery of food and you don't store any
left-overs. Is this true?

In contrast, Songaia has vast food storage space (3 freezers, 3
refrigerators, and 3 pantries) and actively manages a large inventory with
hundreds of food items available for shared meals and home use. We recently
raised our monthly cost to $120/mo (pays for 5 meals/week with free access
to our food stores for personal use).

All our left-overs are stored until they are all eaten/taken home or until
its clear nobody will do so, then they go to the chickens.

How does the "just-in-time" food deliveries work for Nevada City? Since food
purchased in small quantities is so much more expensive than buying in bulk,
you simply must store some foods, e.g. spices. What do you store?
 Thanks, Craig

P.S. Hope to see you at the 2010 Conference... just yesterday, the
conference team was talking about wanting to have a conference breakout
session on common meals.