Re: Meal Participation Program
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:08:42 -0800 (PST)

I realized I forgot to mention numbers of attendees and price.  We usually have
13-15 people at Sunday meals, and 6-10 on weeknights, out of our current census
of 14 adults and four kids. Often that number includes a guest or 3. We don't
charge for meals.  People did not want to deal with perceived hassle of
figuring out what to charge, getting reimbursed etc...  It is obviously a
better deal if you attend most meals.  Our cook/clean teams are usually two
people, with an occasional Herculean one person team who wants to get out of
cooking for two months, and occasional 3 person teams for a large meal.
     We eat a few very simple meals of soup salad and bread, or pasta and
salad, but most nights we have an entree or two, vegetable and salad, bread,
dessert, juice and wine. We all choose how much we can  afford to spend on
common meals. Time is more often a limiting factor than money.  We started out
with about 5 enthusiastic cooks, 3- oh my god
 don't make me cooks, and several more everyday cooks with varying degrees of
apprehension about special diets.  We have been pleasantly surprised at the
time and effort community members put in to making a nice meal for the group.
If someone can't or doesn't plan to have dessert or wine with a meal, some one
else often volunteers to make a cobbler, or bring a bottle of wine.
I initially opposed the no fee approach for common dinners (having spent months
researching complicated schemes) but have been very pleased with it. I don't
know how well it would work for a larger group- we are pretty small in the
cohousing scheme of things, and most of us go to most meals.   One thing I
really like about it is that we eat much more elaborate and healthier meals
than most of us would make at home, and those of us who are hurting money-wise
can adapt without having to forgo meals because of cost.

Randa Johnson
New Brighton
 Cohousing
Aptos, CA

--
Alison Etter 604-740-0321
Roberts Creek, British Columbia   Canada

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
Wayne Dyer

Message: 7