Re: affordable cohousing, not "gated"/ Habitat
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizverizon.net)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 06:07:36 -0800 (PST)
Yes, we at Mosaic Commons Cohousing were able to subsidize the homes in such a way that 25% of the households will be able to buy the same homes as ours at "40B" rates.

We could do it because economic diversity was our value from the beginning (or more accurately from before I joined in 2000). I've always known my house would cost more in order to make this happen and personally, I wouldn't have joined if that wasn't true.

The households who qualify have less than $75K in assets, and put down at least 3.5% of the cost of the home. The rest is mortgage. Therefore they need to have OK credit to qualify for that mortgage.

Condo fees are set by the state to fit the formula so that 1 or 2 people will qualify for the 1BR home, 3 people will qualify for the 2BR home, and 4 or more people will qualify for a 3BR home. (We only have 1, 2, 3BRs in the "affordable" program.)

That is, there are income limits based on number of people in the home, and the home prices were set so that people very near that income level will qualify for that mortgage with 3.5% down.

Outside of the condo fee, we also have a cohousing fee. This is on a sliding scale. Again, this was a value (and agreed on policy) created very early in our process. Everyone pledged what we felt we could afford (we were told the average we were aiming for) and the pledged amount came in slightly above our goal.

I, like Diana, find that what people can offer in terms of time and money is quite different by household and by person. I don't see that it is very closely aligned with MY values, its amazing how people don't see things my way! If I were to be anxious about evaluating such things, the line about fairness, for me at least, wouldn't align with the 40b vs. market rate line. But when I'm at my healthiest I remember that community works best if I don't get anxious about such things.

Interestingly, the state was very concerned that we not "force" the families that qualify for the homes to join the cohousing. But what we have found so far is that the families that want to live in our community are really quite similar to us, and are buying here BECAUSE they want to be in cohousing.

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
PastorLiz [at] verizon.net
Worcester Fellowship