Re: Low cost community housing group
From: Tom Hammer (thammer302yahoo.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 08:09:17 -0800 (PST)
I am amazed that it is not obvious why the statement below is offensive. It can be reworded: "people who can afford to buy lower cost homes are more likely to be dysfunctional." If that is not classism and dysfunctionality, I don't know what is. It is in the same category as "<insert ethnic group or sexual preference or disability> are more likely to be stupid <or substitute other negative adjectives>." Any stereotyping statement that attempts to keep out of cohousing communities people of a certain class or group will leave cohousers open to the frequent criticism that we tend to be white, college-educated, relatively wealthy, non-diverse, and elitist, and we will never successfully attract more diversity if we don't actively discourage such attitudes and actively recruit diverse folks.

Personally, I yearn for more diverse communities of all types across our country, such as the one I currently live in, but specifically in cohousing. I daily am thankful for the rich diversity in my small town of 8000 people that is 35% Hispanic, about 25% "working class" and 10% "poor" and 10% African American. There is an uplifting positive spirit here of cooperation, mutual respect and neighborliness, and I am enriched by the differences among the people around me. I would never want to live in a community filled with people who think that those of lower incomes are more dysfunctional than those with more material wealth.

Tom Hammer
Kennett Square, PA

Message: 1