Re: affordable cohousing, not "gated"/ Habitat
From: Diana E Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:40:56 -0800 (PST)

On 1/23/2010 1:39 AM, Sharon Villines wrote:

Was your cohousing community able to build units that would allow a
low income person to pay $571 a month in mortgage payments _and_ condo
fees for an efficiency? Or for a two-bedroom, $840. Did you build any
efficiencies?

I don't have the math handy but yes, it was priced such that condo fees plus mortgage plus taxes to be accessible to someone low income (not "very low").

We don't have "efficiencies" (ie: studios) but we do have small one BR units (600 sq ft), the smallest size the 40b program allows.

Our prices and unit sizes are on our website, please do take a look:
http://www.mosaic-commons.org/40b
http://www.mosaic-commons.org/forsale

IF they could get a down payment together, one can assume they would
need a full mortgage, that they would not have $100,000 lying around
to pay down a mortgage to a rate that they could afford.

They need a down payment of 1.5%, the rest would be paid for through a combination of mortgage and state down payment assistance.

If Mosaic Commons was able to pull this off, others would like to hear
about it.

I'm not sure how much louder we could talk about it. Not like we've been trying to keep it a big secret since we still have units to sell! Go ahead and peruse the website. Tell your friends, tell your family, tell strangers on the street!!!!

Happy to answer any questions.

Are there the same number of people in each of those households?

No, that's why it's $40 to 80K. The qualification income is higher for larger households. We have 40b households with 1 to 3 members...and prospective households who may join with more than that.

To I sometimes resent them their free time?
Sure.  Do they sometimes resent taking on a big portion of the
community's labor?  Probably.

How long have you been moved in? One of our problems was that our real
condo fee was three times that of the fee projected. This affected low
income people significantly.

We've lived here just under a year.

We just did our first post-move in budget, and yes, our condo fees went up (15%), but the 40b members always pay less than the market rate, for everymore (in proportion to the original cost of their homes). We've added a sliding scale component to our fees, so that everyone pays SOME, but people who can afford more pay more.

This years budgeting process was much easier and less painful and confrontational than I thought it was going to be. (I'm a trustee and the Treasurer, so I was pretty intimately involved with it.)

- Diana

--
Now is the time for community........Mosaic Commons cohousing
Homes still available...........http://www.mosaic-commons.org