Re: Sorry if you were offended, here is the point reworded
From: melanie griffin (melgrifgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:41:29 -0800 (PST)
As someone who works in the mental health field, I know there is a lot of
misunderstanding and stigma related to mental illness. Obviously, since
Abraham Lincoln, Virginia Woolf, Patty Duke, Vincent VanGogh, and many other
famously functional people have had serious and persistent mental illnesses,
and could nonetheless qualify for mortgages, the two groups (those with
mental illness and the underemployed) are not the same group. Same with
those who perpetrate violent acts or are victims of violence and those with
mental illness.Because poor people have fewer resources to hide and
accommodate and treat their illnesses, they are more visible when they
display symptoms; poor people are also disproportionately represented in the
prisons, but nobody would say that they are less moral than rich people.

It's probably more accurate and helpful to name the behaviors that make
someone unable to function in community, and inaccurate to say that poor
people have more of those behaviors. Having a habit of running around with a
knife threatening people, whether motivated by anger, psychopathy, or
paranoia, is not a welcome behavior in a family, community, or workplace and
might lead to a less than ideal work history. It's also important to
remember, too, that people who are mighty dysfunctional at home can be seen
as normal at work (vis., just about every serious perpetrator of domestic
violence I've ever known) and vice versa (the ideal family man or woman who
is a monster of a supervisor)

It's true that some people with mental illnesses don't do well at work and
can't sustain a good credit rating; it's also true that some can.  I
understand that there are behaviors that preclude working well in community.
Can we stick to describing those behaviors and not make assumptions about
how much money you should or can have if you don't exhibit those behaviors
or call people crazy????? The original point, that those who are poor do not
have whatever it takes to survive in community, may have some statistical
support, but certainly does not apply to any given individual and strikes me
as elitist. Excusing it by saying poor people are crazier than rich people
just makes it worse. Finally, i think the real issue is that people who are
poor or even middle class can't afford to live in many communities,
including many cohousing communities, and that's just a fact. It's not
because they have character flaws or mental or physical disabilities.
Melanie