Re: affordable cohousing, not "gated"/ Habitat
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:47:54 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 24, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Diana E Carroll wrote:

How do you know what our condo fees are?

In your last message you said:

a sliding scale starting at $5 a month (our highest contributors pay about $125, most folks are somewhere in
between.)

That you distinguish between condo and cohousing fees is interesting but for comparison with other communities and regular condos, adding them together, as most others do, is a more accurate comparison.

It's a little presumptuous to imagine that you know what will happen to
our budget when you don't know the first thing about our budget.

I'm sorry you are so upset by this discussion. But this is exactly why I think we should have it. After 13+ years of reading this list and talking to people about wanting affordable and low cost cohousing, I find that what is missing is accurate information about costs.

When our community started we had similar figures to yours and found them to be off by 300%. Our management company told us that the first year and no one believed them. So for what it's worth .....

For people who need low cost housing, small differences in numbers are huge concerns. $15 to one person may be nothing but to another it requires a budget adjustment. Living 30% below affordable a whole different mindset.

I'll stop there since this isn't working to achieve my goal.

Apologies for offending you,

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines