Re: Meal Participation--dessert
From: Bonnie Fergusson (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:06:54 -0800 (PST)
      Ah yes, dessert.  Now there's a topic worth a whole thread of it's own.
In our community we always have some sort of dessert with common dinner.  Once
or twice the cooks tried to present a dinner without dessert and it almost
cause a food riot.  There is some tension between the health conscious or
dieting folk who would prefer we have only fresh fruit for dessert and the rest
of us who like baked goods and ice cream.  One problem which has emerged is
that there are a number of us who manage our carb cravings by not being around
the substances we are trying to avoid, not buying them or bringing them home;
but we don't have the self discipline to not eat them when they are presented
in all their tantalizingly delicious glory as dessert at common meal.  Others
just don't eat what they shouldn't and don't see the problem.  Others have a
strong committment to the health values of fresh fruit.  The debate continues.
So far we have no specific policies
 about dessert but there is a lot of discussion about it.
                  Bonnie Fergusson
                  Swan's Market Cohousing
                  Oakland CA