Re: Sorry if you were offended, here is the point reworded
From: monica briggs (m_briggshotmail.com)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:57:13 -0800 (PST)
Dear Melanie,Thank you for your insightful and compassionate response to this
"reworded" assessment of "People who are crazy." (and who "can not function
well enough to hold jobs, thus will not qualify for mortgages.") As a person
with lived experience of mental illness who will soon be a mortgage-paying
member of a cohousing community, I am stunned to read about Rob's limited
experience that has led to the statements he has made about "the pathologically
mentally ill." I am sad to hear this in a cohousing context. I look forward to
being a member of a diverse and compassionate cohousing community despite my
"questionable sanity". As a mental health care provider myself, I promote the
awareness that those of us with diagnoses of mental illness, even with
histories of hospitalizations and joblessness, can be productive members of
society. As you pointed out, Melanie, the list of "famously functional" people
(who haven't had their sanity approved by banks) is impressive. Please, let us
leave inflammatory words like "crazy" out of these productive
discussions.Sincerely, Monica