Re: Meal Participation
From: Mariana Almeida (missmgrrlyahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:14:55 -0800 (PST)
Thanks, Joanie for the dirty dozen list. This could be the start of an actual
agreement of what we should buy organic and what we should not.

As for the non-working eaters -- there is an idea we're floating to break away
the meals into a "meals club" where it is self-contained in both labor and
costs.

Right now, many functions of it are rolled into other community chores -- for
example staples shopping is someone's chore, but could become a meals club
chore that would count towards participation. This is the type of job that
someone may want to do who cannot cook and clean. Other chores we could roll
into it are the financial reckoning, organzing of kitchen items, periodic
deeper tidy-ups of dining areas, that sort of thing.

We're thinking all this through. There is definitely a labor shortage coming,
with maybe another 2-3 people who are seniors and who find the cooking process
to be very demanding, and maybe soon, will find it overly demanding. We'll
see. One of the appeals of meals club is that enables us to welcome in
non-residents who want to participate in meals (= provide labor),  but who may
not have an interest in participating in committees or other community work.

If anyone has insight on splitting off costs, labor, people for meals prep and
clean, please let me know. I'd love to trade ideas.

Mariana
Berkeley, Calif Cohousing